We’ve come a long way from the days of unorganized onsite data storage and crowded server rooms. There’s been a massive amount of cloud computing growth over the past year, making it possible for even the smallest businesses to make a seamless transition to the cloud.
Some of the most exciting cloud computing growth trends of 2019 are:
- Serverless computing;
- More cloud storage options and services; and
- Technology advances in cloud storage, 5G and machine learning.
These three cloud computing growth trends are pushing industries forward, allowing small businesses and global enterprises alike to store their information more securely and perform in-depth data analysis. When you hire an IT service that supports these trends, you’ll take your cloud computing to the next level.
Cloud Computing Growth Driven by Serverless
The move toward serverless cloud computing has been happening for a number of years now, but in 2019, this practice will likely become the new standard. In just a few years’ time, using your own server for your cloud computing needs will be obsolete, time-consuming and cost-prohibitive.
Serverless cloud computing is the process of storing and processing data via the internet using an offsite server that’s run by a third party. In other words, you won’t have to install or run your own server, maintain a data storage room or hire an IT staff tasked with keeping the servers in good working order. Your IT staff, developers and financial reporters can manage data directly from the cloud.
This cloud computing growth trend has a number of benefits for your business:
- It reduces your cost of operations significantly: Servers are expensive to build and use a great deal of power on a daily basis. By outsourcing your servers to IT firms that use cloud computing resources like Amazon Web Services (AWS), you’ll get secure cloud storage for a fraction of what it would cost to run your own servers.
- You’ll have more office space: Space is a finite, precious resource in small and medium-sized enterprises. Why waste an entire room on servers when you could use this space for inventory storage or office cubicles? This also gives you the option to buy a smaller office space, which may cost less to lease.
- Your IT staff can focus on other tasks: Running servers is a full-time job often requiring the expertise of more than just one employee. When you go serverless, you can [INTERNAL LINK WHEN LIVE build a lean staff] who only work on tasks that help your business grow–such as building new customer-friendly retail applications or making improvements to your website.
- You’ll stay up to date with the latest cloud security updates: Data security requirements are constantly changing, making it difficult for small and medium-sized enterprises to keep up. IT firms always update their servers and systems based on the latest security advances, so you won’t have to make any changes on your end.
For these reasons, going serverless should be near the top of your priority list in 2019.
More Cloud Computing Options Will Be Available
At a recent AWS Reinvent conference, CEO of Amazon Web Services Andy Jassy said that he’s seeing significant cloud computing growth in the number of services and options available to businesses. Cloud computing providers now have dozens of different services that their clients can choose from, and this is making it much easier for business owners to select the ideal service for their unique needs.
Jassy explains that today’s business owners now expect a very high level of service and functionality from their cloud computing providers–an expectation that the top providers have been happy to meet. He says, “Having the right tool for the right job not only makes it much easier to migrate all of your existing workloads to the cloud, but it also unleashes your builders to build anything they can imagine.” For example, AWS has 47 separate services designed around different data collection and storage options.
By selecting a service that perfectly suits your business’ needs, you’ll not only ensure that your data is collected and stored properly, but you’ll also save money–you won’t have to pay for additional services that your company never uses.
Technological Advances Lead to Cloud Computing Growth
Technology is evolving at a breakneck speed and this is dramatically improving cloud computing growth on a global scale. Greater storage capacity, 5G and machine learning will all have an impact on cloud computing in 2019.
Extensive cloud storage is leading to more cloud computing options. If you work with a great deal of data, then this trend is especially important for you to consider this year. In 2017, the global cloud storage capacity was up to 600 Exabytes. By 2018, this number increased to 1.1 Zettabytes (almost double the amount), and this consistent growth is expected to continue through 2019.
With more global cloud storage available, you’ll have the option to collect, store and analyze larger amounts of data at little to no extra cost. In the past, providers might charge you more for this service, as storage capacity was more limited than it is today. For example, AWS’ newest Glacier Deep Archive costs only about one dollar per terabyte of storage per month. This means that it will cost less to store your data in the cloud than it would to keep data on magnetic tape.
5G and Faster Internet Connections
5G networks will require faster internet speeds, and this will have a positive impact on cloud computing. Improved internet speeds will allow you to access your data more quickly and efficiently. Now has never been a better time to make the transition to cloud-based storage and applications, as slow internet connections are becoming a thing of the past. You can process [INTERNAL LINK WHEN LIVE exploratory data] in real time over the cloud without worrying about lag or coping with a slow data upload process.
All of the major cloud computing service providers use some form of machine learning to improve the level of service they offer their customers. The reason why machine learning is a useful tool is because it makes it possible to manage and analyze massive workloads of data using very few resources. Machines can quickly perform tasks that normally would take employees weeks or months to complete. Moreover, machines with Artificial Intelligence can perform in-depth analysis and identify patterns in data that other machines cannot. This allows you to make use of the data you collect as soon as possible.
Technology will continue to advance, but for now, these are the primary technological breakthroughs that are having the greatest impact on cloud computing growth. By hiring IT firms and cloud computing service providers that take these technologies into consideration, you’ll get the best service possible.
To stay current on the latest cloud computing advances, contact Tek Leaders today. Using our cloud computing and managed services, you’ll maximize your computing efficiency and dramatically improve efficiency. Or, if you have more questions about cloud computing growth, you can reach us by email or call us at (214) 504-1600 directly.
Devender (Dev) Aerrabolu